Senior Funding Setbacks

Editorial 

For the past semester, tensions have been growing for seniors who are concerned about their final activities for high school. Senior activities planned for the spring and summer include Grad Night, the Senior Picnic, and, the big event, prom. But, as many students are nervously aware, funding has been a big concern. The big push for fundraising began this year, as deadlines are coming soon.

The fundraiser that has just finished its cycle is the See’s Candy sale. Seniors are now turning in orders and money in hopes of making enough for events. But these sales can only be successful if students work together to sell and participate in the effort. A lack of contribution in part of the graduating class can mean higher prices for activities. Higher prices means even less will be motivated to attend special events.

The issues that have occurred stem from problems in the class specifically and problems that plague the entire school. Many students have noticed the diminishing school spirit on campus. From the drop in the number of dances, to the dismissive attitude of those who attend the school, it’s clear Daniel Pearl High School means something very different than it has in years past.

The school’s first attendees stayed out of devotion for the school and the program. Now, the falling passion has to be addressed. There have been more efforts by the staff to bring opportunities to unite the campus since many still consider school a place to simply go to class, see friends, and then leave at the end of the day.

The reoccuring question of resources and enrollment have had major effects. The senior class has less than 80 students, thanks to numerous transfers throughout the years. And it is up to those few students to create an experience akin to one available in a much larger school. It is a daunting task, but some feel it is worth the price.

Past years have managed to make the most of what they had and felt satisfied with the result. It has yet to be seen whether this class will be able to make up for the lost time scrambling to organize, but some students are ready to put in the work.

A deposit has already been made to the Sportsmen’s Lodge, and ticket prices have been determined to be $100. Still, a number of students admit to not wanting to attend this school’s prom. Considering the importance placed on the final dance of the year, this may come as a surprise. But to those who have witnessed first hand the lack of leadership, worries about funds, and subpar enthusiasm from peers, it is a choice a long time in the making.